I hope all of you love Momo’s . .I so love these darlings. I can’t ever have enough of them . .
Now, I told you earlier in my posts that for the past few months I’m on a diet and trying to lose the extra pounds so I used these as my dinner . You see, I don’t eat vegetables plainly, but I love them when they come in Momo’s . .
So here is a quick Recipe on how to make Momo’s . .I’ll describe how to make Veg, as well as Chicken Momo’s . .The below ingredientd will make like 35/40 momo’s of normal size . .:)
1 large Cabbage
- 1 bunch green Onion
- 2/3 Carrots
- Black Pepper
- Soy Sauce
- A little Aginomoto
- Flour and oil for making the dough
- A large saucepan
- You can use a Momo-maker if you have one. . They can be found in all utensil shops now-a-days. Or you can use a tight lid with holes, these holes will let out the steam from the soup boiling in the saucepan and hence cook the Momo’s.
- Another lid to cover the previously mentioned lid, so that the Momo’s are steamed quickly
Make The Filling:
First cut the vegetables and boil them in a water and salt mixture . .
- Then let the excess water in the veggies drain out . .I usually drain them in the lid I make the Momo’s in . .I place a saucepan below and apply pressure so that all the excess water is drained into the saucepan below. Keep the drained water.
- Now let the veggie mixture cool down . .Add the Green Onion and Capsicum and mix again.Pour in a bowl, add 1 1/2 tablespoon of soy sauce, salt,aginomoto ,Black pepper and mix . . apply a bit of pressure and slightly drain any excess water if there is any. Now our filling is ready . .
****For chicken Momo, I usually boil the boneless chicken and mash it so that there are no chunks of chicken. Add the chicken to the drained vegetable mixture.
Now make a dough as you would for parathas or Luchi’s . . make small dough balls like the size of a cherry. This is an important step as the small chapatis must not be too thick nor too thin .
Making The Momo . .
Make small chapatis . .2/3 inches in diameter
- I suggest you make 8/10 chapatis and then move to filling them.
- After you make 10 chapatis, Bring the saucepan and put it in the oven along with the drained water in it, place the lid where we will put the Momo’s and cover this with another lid. Let the water in the saucepan come near its boiling point.
- The Shape of a Momo can be different. I usually make the longer version which looks like a Bengali Sweet Dish -Puli Pithe . .:). But you can also shape it like a dumpling. To make the puli pithe type make a small chapati and place a reasonable amount of filling on one side of the chapati and then fold the chapati in half. Making like a half cirle . .And then seal the edges .Gosh!!! I’m so bad at describing these things . .:P
- To make the dumpling version, place the filling in the middle of the chapati and take the whole chapati and seal the top by twisting the remaining chapati to form like a Jhhola . .:) I will give pictures so that you may excuse my bad descriptions . .:P
- Now after makin the first batch of like 10-15 momo’s we’ll open the top cover and see whether the water is boiling. Then place it in the middle lid that has holes in it. After placing all of the mom’s cover it with the top lid . .And make your second batch. It usually takes like 15 minutes to make the momo. Check if the outer flour cover has turned semi transparent and you can see the veggies.
- Removing the momo’s is a difficult job also, you need to grease the lid in which we place the momo as well as use oil to roll out the dough so that it does not stick to the lid. (A special tip: make the chapatis a bit thick . .Not very thin as this will help in removing them from the Lid without breakage)
- After making all the bathches and boiling them . .Serve in a plate with Hot& Sweet Sauce. You may also have the soup . .that is the water which we used to boil beneath the momo (To spice it up, add a bit of the chopped veggies, some small chunk of chicken and some pepper while it’s boiling). . This way you get the momo and the soup as well.
Chatni for momo . .
To make a hot sauce/chatni for your momo’s
1 Tbsp chopped ginger
4 cloves chopped garlic
2 tomatoes, chopped
2 Tbsp salt
2 dashes tumeric
1 Tbsp red pepper flakes
1 Tbsp oil
250 ml water
Now mix these in a pot and boil together for 15 minutes. This sauce you can even save for future use
Please enjoy your homemade momo’s which are low in Calorie, Great to taste and are filled with healthy veggies. . I am already getting water in my mouth . .:P
Hope all of you try it